Sunday, September 12, 2010




This centerpiece was originally designed as a wedding gift for a friend, but I liked it so much, I decided to build another. The piece measures 19 inches long by 8 inches wide, by 3-1/2 inches in height. A slump mold was utilized to form the vessel. First I rolled a good-sized slab of speckled brown clay which was laid inside the mold. Then I added the decorative shells and attached them with clay slip. I generously brushed on a mint mist high-fire glaze, and then used a smaller brush to apply a pearl high fire glaze on each of the shells. This project did not end in perfection, as the bottom inside of the centerpiece has a crack, but luckily does not penetrate to the outside of the piece and should not effect its functionality.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: